Well I don't know about postgres but you can limit the number of columns
abd rows fetched via JDBC at source rather than loading and filtering them
in Spark

val c = HiveContext.load("jdbc",
Map("url" -> _ORACLEserver,
"dbtable" -> "(SELECT to_char(CHANNEL_ID) AS CHANNEL_ID, CHANNEL_DESC FROM
sh.channels where ROWNUM <= 10000)",
"user" -> _username,
"password" -> _password))

or in your case

"dbtable" -> "(SELECT COUNT(1) FROM FROM sh.channels where ROWNUM <=
10000)",

c.show()

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh