I am no expert, but some naive thoughts...

1. How many HPC nodes do you have? How many of them crash (What do you mean
by multiple)? Do all of them crash?

2. What things are you running on Puppet? Can't you switch it off and test
Spark? Also you can switch of Facter. Btw, your observation that there is
iowait on these applications might be because they have low priority than
Spark. Hence they are waiting for Spark to finish. So the real bottleneck
might be Spark and not these background processes

3. Limiting cpu's and memory for Spark, might have an inverse effect on
iowait. As more of Spark processes would have to access the disk due to
reduced memory and CPU

4. Offcourse, you might have to give more info on what kind of applications
you are running on Spark as they might be the main culpirit

Deepak

Hey

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag~Bonjour

   --