Hi!
 I had a similar issue when the user that submit the job to the spark
cluster didn't have permission to write into the hdfs. If you have the hdfs
GUI then you can check which users are and what permissions. Also can in
hdfs browser:(
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27996034/opening-a-hdfs-file-in-browser.
) if your folder structure was created.

If you have  yarn, an example ciuld be  spark-submit --class "yopur.class"
--master yarn-client --num-executors 12 --executor-memory 16g
--driver-memory 8g --executor-cores 8 <your.jar>.jar
 hdfs://<namednode>/<your_user>/output

I hope it helps.
 Regards,\ Florin