Hi All,

I am running Spark Application with 1.8TB of data (which is stored in Hive
tables format).  I am reading the data using HiveContect and processing it.
The cluster has 5 nodes total, 25 cores per machine and 250Gb per node. I
am launching the application with 25 executors with 5 cores each and 45GB
per executor. Also, specified the property
spark.yarn.executor.memoryOverhead=2024.

During the execution, tasks are lost and ShuffleMapTasks are re-submitted.
I am seeing that tasks are failing with the following message -

*java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: requirement failed: File segment
length cannot be negative (got -27045427)*

* at scala.Predef$.require(Predef.scala:233)*

* at org.apache.spark.storage.FileSegment.<init>(FileSegment.scala:28)*

* at
org.apache.spark.storage.DiskBlockObjectWriter.fileSegment(DiskBlockObjectWriter.scala:220)*

* at
org.apache.spark.shuffle.sort.ShuffleExternalSorter.writeSortedFile(ShuffleExternalSorter.java:184)*

* at
org.apache.spark.shuffle.sort.ShuffleExternalSorter.closeAndGetSpills(ShuffleExternalSorter.java:398)*

* at
org.apache.spark.shuffle.sort.UnsafeShuffleWriter.closeAndWriteOutput(UnsafeShuffleWriter.java:206)*

* at
org.apache.spark.shuffle.sort.UnsafeShuffleWriter.write(UnsafeShuffleWriter.java:166)*

* at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.ShuffleMapTask.runTask(ShuffleMapTask.scala:73)*

* at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.ShuffleMapTask.runTask(ShuffleMapTask.scala:41)*

* at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:89)*

* at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:213)*

* at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)*

* at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)*

I understood that its because the shuffle block is > 2G, the Int value is
taking negative and throwing the above exeception.

Can someone throw light on this ? What is the fix for this ?

Thanks,
Padma CH