I just checked out completely fresh directory and created new IJ project.
Then followed your tip for adding the avro source.

Here is an additional set of errors

Error:(31, 12) object razorvine is not a member of package net
import net.razorvine.pickle.{IObjectPickler, Opcodes, Pickler}
           ^
Error:(779, 49) not found: type IObjectPickler
  class PythonMessageAndMetadataPickler extends IObjectPickler {
                                                ^
Error:(783, 7) not found: value Pickler
      Pickler.registerCustomPickler(classOf[PythonMessageAndMetadata], this)
      ^
Error:(784, 7) not found: value Pickler
      Pickler.registerCustomPickler(this.getClass, this)
      ^
Error:(787, 57) not found: type Pickler
    def pickle(obj: Object, out: OutputStream, pickler: Pickler) {
                                                        ^
Error:(789, 19) not found: value Opcodes
        out.write(Opcodes.GLOBAL)
                  ^
Error:(794, 19) not found: value Opcodes
        out.write(Opcodes.MARK)
                  ^
Error:(800, 19) not found: value Opcodes
        out.write(Opcodes.TUPLE)
                  ^
Error:(801, 19) not found: value Opcodes
        out.write(Opcodes.REDUCE)
                  ^