The spark workers are running side-by-side with scientific simulation code.
The code writes output to local SSDs to keep latency low. Due to the volume
of data being moved (10's of terabytes +), it isn't really feasible to copy
the data to a global filesystem. Executing a function on each node would
allow us to read the data in situ without a copy.

I understand that manually assigning tasks to nodes reduces fault
tolerance, but the simulation codes already explicitly assign tasks, so a
failure of any one node is already a full-job failure.