Hi Jestin,
I saw most of setup usually setup along master and slave in a same node.
Because I think master doesn't do as much job as slave does and resource is
expensive we need to use it.
BTW In my setup I setup along master and slave.
I have  5 nodes and 3 of which are master and slave running alongside.
Hope it can help!.

Regards,
Chanh