Another approach is to use L1 regularisation eg
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/mllib-linear-methods.html#linear-least-squares-lasso-and-ridge-regression.
 This adds a penalty term to the regression equation to reduce model
complexity. When you use L1 (as opposed to say L2) this tends to promote
sparsity in the coefficients i.e.some of the coefficients are pushed to zero,
effectively deselecting them from the model.

Sent from my iPhone