LOL

well the issue here was the dependencies scripted in that shell
script which was modified to add "provided" to it.

The script itself still works just the content of one of functions had to
be edited

function create_sbt_file {
SBT_FILE=${GEN_APPSDIR}/scala/${APPLICATION}/${FILE_NAME}.sbt
[ -f ${SBT_FILE} ] && rm -f ${SBT_FILE}
cat >> $SBT_FILE << !
name := "scala"
version := "1.0"
scalaVersion := "2.11.7"
libraryDependencies += "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-core" % "2.0.0"
libraryDependencies += "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-sql" % "2.0.0"
libraryDependencies += "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-hive" % "2.0.0" %
"provided"
!
}

Dr Mich Talebzadeh