I think people explained this pretty well, but in practice, this distinction is
also somewhat of a marketing term, because every system will perform some kind
of batching. For example, every time you use TCP, the OS and network stack may
buffer multiple messages together and send them at once; and likewise,
virtually all streaming engines can batch data internally to achieve higher
throughput. Furthermore, in all APIs, you can see individual records and
respond to them one by one. The main question is just what overall performance
you get (throughput and latency).

Matei