If you mean to persist data in an RDD, then you should do just that --
persist the RDD to durable storage so it can be read later by any
other app. Checkpointing is not a way to store RDDs, but a specific
way to recover the same application in some cases. Parquet has been
supported for a long while, yes. It's the most common binary format.
You could also literally store the serialized form of your objects.