Spark should work fine with Python 3. I'm not a Python person, but all else
equal I'd use 3.5 too. I assume the issue could be libraries you want that
don't support Python 3. I don't think that changes with CDH. It includes a
version of Anaconda from Continuum, but that lays down Python 2.7.11. I
don't believe there's any particular position on 2 vs 3.