1.  see
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-kafka-integration.html#approach-2-direct-approach-no-receivers
 look for HasOffsetRange.  If you really want the info per-message
rather than per-partition, createRDD has an overload that takes a
messageHandler from MessageAndMetadata to whatever you need

2. createRDD takes type parameters for the key and value decoder, so
specify them there

3. you can use spark-streaming-kafka-0-8 against 0.9 or 0.10 brokers.
There is a spark-streaming-kafka-0-10 package with additional features
that only works on brokers 0.10 or higher.  A pull request for
documenting it has been merged, but not deployed.