> Do you mean running a multi-JVM 'cluster' on the single machine?
Yes, that's what I suggested.

You can get some information here:
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2015/03/how-to-tune-your-apache-spark-jobs-part-2/

> How would that affect performance/memory-consumption? If a multi-JVM
setup can handle such a large input, then why can't a single-JVM break down
the job into smaller tasks?
I don't have an answer to these questions, it requires understanding of
Spark, JVM, and your setup internal.

I ran into the same issue only once when I tried to read a gzipped file
which size was >16GiB. That's the only time I had to meet this
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/5d84c7fd83502aeb551d46a740502db4862508fe/core/src/main/java/org/apache/spark/memory/TaskMemoryManager.java#L238-L243
In the end I had to recompress my file into bzip2 that is splittable to be
able to read it with spark.

I'd look into size of your files and if they're huge I'd try to connect the
error you got to the size of the files (but it's strange to me as a block
size of a Parquet file is 128MiB). I don't have any other suggestions, I'm
sorry.