you may want to check the process limit of the user who responsible for starting the JVM.
/etc/security/limits.d/90-nproc.conf

On 10/29/16 4:47 AM, kant kodali wrote:
"dag-scheduler-event-loop" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
        at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:714)
at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.tryAddWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1672) at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.signalWork(ForkJoinPool.java:1966) at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.push(ForkJoinPool.java:1072) at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.fork(ForkJoinTask.java:654)
        at scala.collection.parallel.ForkJoinTasks$WrappedTask$

This is the error produced by the Spark Driver program which is running on client mode by default so some people say just increase the heap size by passing the --driver-memory 3g flag however the message *"**unable to create new native thread**"* really says that the JVM is asking OS to create a new thread but OS couldn't allocate it anymore and the number of threads a JVM can create by requesting OS is platform dependent but typically it is 32K threads on a 64-bit JVM. so I am wondering why spark is even creating so many threads and how do I control this number?