A bit of gray area here I am afraid, I was trying to experiment with it

According to
https://forums.databricks.com/questions/400/what-is-the-difference-between-registertemptable-a.html

and I quote

"registerTempTable()

registerTempTable() creates an in-memory table that is scoped to the
cluster in which it was created. The data is stored using Hive's
highly-optimized, in-memory columnar format."

So on the face of it tempTable is an in-memory table

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com