Generally, yes - you should try to have larger data sizes due to the
overhead of opening up files.  Typical guidance is between 64MB-1GB;
personally I usually stick with 128MB-512MB with the default of snappy
codec compression with parquet.  A good reference is Vida Ha's
presentation Data
Storage Tips for Optimal Spark Performance
<https://spark-summit.org/2015/events/data-storage-tips-for-optimal-spark-performance/>.