I used to use uber jar in Spark 1.x because of classpath issues (we
couldn't re-model our dependencies based on our code, and thus cluster's
run dependencies could be very different from running Spark directly in the
IDE. We had to use userClasspathFirst "hack" to work around this.

With Spark 2, it's easier to replace dependencies (say, Guava) than before.
We moved away from deploying superjar and just pass the libraries as part
of Spark jars (still can't use Guava v19 or later because Spark uses a
deprecated method that's not available, but that's not a big issue for us).

-------
Regards,
Andy