Hi

While the solutions provided by others looks promising and I'd like to try
out few of them, our old pal sqoop already "does" the job. It has a
incremental mode where you can provide a --check-column and
--last-modified-value combination to grab the data - and yes, sqoop
essentially does it by running a MAP-only job which spawns number of
parallel map task to grab data from DB.

In Spark, you can use sqlContext.load function for JDBC and use
partitionColumn and numPartition to define parallelism of connection.

Best
Ayan