Andy,

You might want to also checkout the Algebird libraries from Twitter. They have
topK and a lot of other helpful functions. I’ve used the Algebird topk
successfully on very large data sets.

You can also use Spark SQL to do a “poor man’s” topK. This depends on how
scrupulous you are about your TopKs (I can expound on this, if needed).

I obfuscated the field names, before pasting this into email – I think I got
them all consistently.

Here’s the meat of the TopK part (found on SO, but I don’t have a reference) –
this one takes the top 4, hence “rowNum <= 4”:

SELECT time_bucket,
       identifier1,
       identifier2,
       incomingCount
  FROM (select time_bucket,
        identifier1,
        identifier2,
        incomingCount,
       ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY time_bucket,
                                       identifier1
                              ORDER BY count DESC) as rowNum
                                  FROM tablename) tmp
  WHERE rowNum <=4
  ORDER BY time_bucket, identifier1, rowNum

The count and order by:

SELECT time_bucket,
       identifier1,
       identifier2,