Thanks for the reply Gene. Looks like this means, with Spark 2.x, one has
to change from rdd.persist(StorageLevel.OFF_HEAP) to
rdd.saveAsTextFile(alluxioPath) / rdd.saveAsObjectFile (alluxioPath) for
guarantees like persisted rdd surviving a Spark JVM crash etc,  as also the
other benefits you mention.

Vin.