See "API compatibility" in http://spark.apache.org/versioning-policy.html

While code that is annotated as Experimental is still a good faith effort
to provide a stable and useful API, the fact is that we're not yet
confident enough that we've got the public API in exactly the form that we
want to commit to maintaining until at least the next major release.  That
means that the API may change in the next minor/feature-level release (but
it shouldn't in a patch/bugfix-level release), which would require that
your source code be rewritten to use the new API.  In the most extreme
case, we may decide that the experimental code didn't work out the way we
wanted, so it could be withdrawn entirely.  Complete withdrawal of the
Kafka code is unlikely, but it may well change in incompatible way with
future releases even before Spark 3.0.0.