The one issue with using Neo4j is that you need to persist the whole graph
on one single machine i.e you can not shard the graph. I am not sure what
is the size of your graph but if it is huge one way to shard could be to
use the Component Id to shard. You can generate Component Id by running
ConnectedComponent on your Graph in GrpahX of GraphFrames.

But GraphX or GraphFrame expect the data in to Dataframes (RDD) vertices
and edges and it really relies on the relational nature of these entities
to run any algorithm. AFAIK same is the case with Giraph too so if you want
to use GraphFrames  as your processing engine you can chose to persist your
data in Hive tables and not in native graph format.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Ankur