I haven't done Structured Streaming in Spark 2.1 with Kafka 0.9.x, but I
did do stream processing with Spark 2.0.1 and Kafka 0.10.

Here's the official documenation that I used for Spark Streaming with Kafka
0.10:  https://spark.apache.org/docs/2.1.0/streaming-kafka-integration.html.
It looks like you might need to use the 0.8.x connector, but I found that
connector to be inadequate for some use cases, such as using a regex to
subscribe to multiple topics.  Your results may vary, and I wouldn't be
surprised if there was another source of official documentation on the
topic.