Hello:

I am training the ALS model for recommendations. I have about 200m ratings
from about 10m users and 3m products. I have a small cluster with 48 cores
and 120gb cluster-wide memory.

My code is very similar to the example code

spark/examples/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/examples/mllib/MovieLensALS.scala
code.

I have a couple of questions:

   1. All steps up to model training runs reasonably fast. Model training
   is under 10 minutes for rank 20. However, the
   model.recommendProductsForUsers step is either slow or just does not work
   as the code just seems to hang at this point. I have tried user and product
   blocks sizes of -1 and 20, 40, etc, played with executor memory size, etc.
   Can someone shed some light here as to what could be wrong?
   2. Also, is there any example code for the ml.recommendation.ALS
   algorithm? I can figure out how to train the model but I don't understand
   (from the documentation) how to perform predictions?

Sahib Aulakh.

--
Sahib Aulakh
Sr. Principal Engineer