I assume printschema would not trigger an evaluation. Show might partially
triggger an evaluation (not all data is shown only a certain number of rows by
default).
Keep in mind that even a count might not trigger evaluation of all rows
(especially in the future) due to updates on the optimizer.

What do you mean by pending ? You can see the status of the job in the UI.