I'm not sure that "checkpointed" means the same thing in that sentence.

You can run a simple test using `spark-shell`:

sc.setCheckpointDir("/tmp/checkpoint")
val rdd = sc.parallelize(1 to 10).map(x => {
  Thread.sleep(1000)
})
rdd.checkpoint()
rdd.foreach(println) // Will take 10 seconds
rdd.foreach(println) // Will be instant, because the RDD is checkpointed