Was checking mails I sent, and wanted to get back to this one in case
someone gets the same question.

We found out that the reason why we saw stages being complete without all
tasks complete is related to issues in the ListenerBus

We had to tune the event queue size, see this

and we had to disable `eventLog` completely in some cases because of this

Facebook did some improvements to that, which are discussed here and in the
related PRs https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18838

You can also see them discussing that at the Spark Summit SF 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dga0UT4RI8