Hi Michael,

I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I get error like:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Schema must
be specified when creating a streaming source DataFrame. If some files
already exist in the directory, then depending on the file format you may
be able to create a static DataFrame on that directory with
'spark.read.load(directory)' and infer schema from it.
    at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource.sourceSchema(DataSource.scala:223)
    at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource.sourceInfo$lzycompute(DataSource.scala:87)
    at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource.sourceInfo(DataSource.scala:87)
    at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.streaming.StreamingRelation$.apply(StreamingRelation.scala:30)
    at
org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamReader.load(DataStreamReader.scala:125)
    at
org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamReader.load(DataStreamReader.scala:134)
    at
com.aol.persist.UplynkAggregates$.aggregator(UplynkAggregates.scala:23)
    at com.aol.persist.UplynkAggregates$.main(UplynkAggregates.scala:41)
    at com.aol.persist.UplynkAggregates.main(UplynkAggregates.scala)
    at
    at
    at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:144)
17/09/12 14:46:22 INFO SparkContext: Invoking stop() from shutdown hook

I tried specifying the schema as well.
Here is my code:

object Aggregates {

  val aggregation=
    """select sum(col1), sum(col2), id, first(name)
      from enrichedtb
      group by id
    """.stripMargin

  def aggregator(conf:Config)={
    implicit val spark =
SparkSession.builder().appName(conf.getString("AppName")).getOrCreate()
    implicit val sqlctx = spark.sqlContext
    printf("Source path is" + conf.getString("source.path"))
    val schemadf = sqlctx.read.parquet(conf.getString("source.path"))
// Added this as it was complaining about schema.
    val df=spark.readStream.format("parquet").option("inferSchema",
true).schema(schemadf.schema).load(conf.getString("source.path"))
    df.createOrReplaceTempView("enrichedtb")
    val res = spark.sql(aggregation)

res.writeStream.format("parquet").outputMode("append").option("checkpointLocation",conf.getString("checkpointdir")).start(conf.getString("sink.outputpath"))
  }

  def main(args: Array[String]): Unit = {
    val mainconf = ConfigFactory.load()
    val conf = mainconf.getConfig(mainconf.getString("pipeline"))
    print(conf.toString)
    aggregator(conf)
  }

}

I tried to extract schema from static read of the input path and
provided it to the readStream API. With that, I get this error:

at
org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.UnsupportedOperationChecker$.org$apache$spark$sql$catalyst$analysis$UnsupportedOperationChecker$$throwError(UnsupportedOperationChecker.scala:297)
        at
org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.UnsupportedOperationChecker$.checkForStreaming(UnsupportedOperationChecker.scala:109)
        at
org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.StreamingQueryManager.createQuery(StreamingQueryManager.scala:232)
        at
org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.StreamingQueryManager.startQuery(StreamingQueryManager.scala:278)
        at
org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamWriter.start(DataStreamWriter.scala:282)
        at
org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamWriter.start(DataStreamWriter.scala:222)

While running on the EMR cluster all paths point to S3. In my laptop,
they all point to local filesystem.

I am using Spark2.2.0

Appreciate your help.

regards