Hi Amit,

Spark keeps the partition that it is working on in memory (and does not
spill to disk even if it is running OOM). Also since you are getting OOM
when using partitionBy (and not when you just use flatMap), there should be
one (or few) dates on which your partition size is bigger than the heap.
You can do a count on dates to check if there is skewness in your data.

The way out would be increase the heap size or use columns in partitionBy
(like date + hour) to distribute the data better.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
Ankur