advancedxy <advance...@gmail.com>, I don't remember the code as well
anymore but what we hit was a very simple schema (string, long). The issue
is the buffer had a million of these so SizeEstimator of the buffer had to
keep recalculating the same elements over and over again.  SizeEstimator
was on-cpu about 30% of the time, bounding the buffer got it to be < 5%
(going off memory so may be off).

The cost is really (assuming memory is O(1) which is not true) O(N × M)
where N is number of rows in buffer and M is size of schema.  My case could
be solved by not recomputing which would bring the cost to O(M) since
bookkeeping should be consistent time. There was logic to delay
recalculating bases off a change in frequency, but that didn't really do
much for us, bounding and spilling was the bigger win in our case.