There's a flag to the controller manager that is in charge of retention
policy for terminated or completed pods.

https://kubernetes.io/docs/reference/command-line-tools-reference/kube-controller-manager/#options
--terminated-pod-gc-threshold int32     Default: 12500
Number of terminated pods that can exist before the terminated pod garbage
collector starts deleting terminated pods. If <= 0, the terminated pod
garbage collector is disabled.