the only thing that seems to stop this so far is a checkpoint.

wit a checkpoint i get a map phase with lots of tasks to read the data,
then a reduce phase with 2048 reducers, and then finally a map phase with 4
tasks.

now i need to figure out how to do this without having to checkpoint. i
wish i could insert something like a dummy operation that logical steps
cannot jump over.