Most people when they compare two different programming languages 99% of
the time it all seems to boil down to syntax sugar.

Performance I doubt Scala is ever faster than Java given that Scala likes
Heap more than Java. I had also written some pointless micro-benchmarking
code like (Random String Generation, hash computations, etc..) on Java,
Scala and Golang and Java had outperformed both Scala and Golang as well on
many occasions.

Now that Java 11 had released things seem to get even better given the
startup time is also very low.

I am happy to change my view as long as I can see some code and benchmarks!