We are trying to use spark event logging with s3a as a destination for event
data.

We added these settings to the spark submits:

spark.eventLog.dir s3a://ourbucket/sparkHistoryServer/eventLogs
spark.eventLog.enabled true

Everything works fine with smaller jobs, and we can see the history data in the
history server that’s also using s3a. However, when we tried a job with a few
hundred gigs of data that goes through multiple stages, it was dying with OOM
exception (same job works fine with spark.eventLog.enabled false)

18/10/22 23:07:22 ERROR util.Utils: uncaught error in thread SparkListenerBus,
stopping SparkContext
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    at
java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.hugeCapacity(ByteArrayOutputStream.java:123)
    at java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.grow(ByteArrayOutputStream.java:117)
    at
java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.ensureCapacity(ByteArrayOutputStream.java:93)

Full stack trace:
https://gist.github.com/davidhesson/bd64a25f04c6bb241ec398f5383d671c

Does anyone have any insight or experience with using spark history server with
s3a? Is this problem being caused by perhaps something else in our configs? Any
help would be appreciated.