If the number of items is indeed 4, then another issue is the rank of the
factors defaults to 10. Setting the "rank" parameter < 4 will help.

However, if you only have 4 items, then I would propose that using ALS (or
any recommendation model in fact) is not really necessary. There is not
really enough information as well as sparsity, to make collaborative
filtering useful. And you could simply recommend all items a user has not
rated and the result would be the same essentially.