Here's a simpler example that I think gets at the heart of what I'm trying
to do: DynamicSchemaExample.scala
<https://gist.github.com/alev000/5be58bffb2dbc64bcdcc45fefb025a6e>.  Here,
I'm dynamically creating a sequence of Rows and also dynamically creating a
corresponding schema (StructType), but the RowEncoder derived from the
schema doesn't seem to handle the nested structure of the Rows.  This
example fails with a similar error (in this case, "scala.Tuple2$mcDD$sp is
not a valid external type for schema of struct<_1:double,_2:double>").

If I could find a way to get this example working (for arbitrary values of
rowSize), I suspect that it would also give me a solution to the
custom-aggregation issue I outlined in my previous email.  Any suggestions
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
~ Andrew