It's not obvious from what you pasted, but perhaps the juypter notebook
already is connected to a running spark context, while spark-submit needs
to get a new spot in the (YARN?) queue.

I would check the cluster job IDs for both to ensure you're getting new
cluster tasks for each.

--

*Patrick McCarthy  *

Senior Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineering

Dstillery

470 Park Ave South, 17th Floor, NYC 10016