There was a change in the binary format of Arrow 0.15.1 and there is an
environment variable you can set to make pyarrow 0.15.1 compatible with
current Spark, which looks to be your problem. Please see the doc below for
instructions added in SPARK-2936. Note, this will not be required for the
upcoming release of Spark 3.0.0.
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/docs/sql-pyspark-pandas-with-arrow.md#compatibiliy-setting-for-pyarrow--0150-and-spark-23x-24x