Hi Alfredo

my 2 cents:
To my knowlegde and reading the spark3 pre-release note, it will handle
hive metastore 2.3.5 - no mention of hive 3 metastore. I made several
tests on this in the past[1] and it seems to handle any hive metastore
version.

However spark cannot read hive managed table AKA transactional tables.
So I would say you should be able to read any hive 3 regular table with
any of spark, pyspark or sparkR.

[1] https://parisni.frama.io/posts/playing-with-hive-spark-metastore-versions/

--
nicolas