I’m pretty sure that Catalyst was built before Calcite, or at least in
parallel. Calcite 1.0 was only released in 2015. From a technical standpoint,
building Catalyst in Scala also made it more concise and easier to extend than
an optimizer written in Java (you can find various presentations about how
Catalyst works).

Matei