SEE:http://spark.apache.org/docs/2.3.1/streaming-programming-guide.html#checkpointing
"Note that checkpointing of RDDs incurs the cost of saving to reliable storage.
This may cause an increase in the processing time of those batches where RDDs
get checkpointed."

As far as I know, the official documentation states that the checkpoint of the
spark streaming application will continue to increase over time.
Whereas data or RDD checkpointing is necessary even for basic functioning if
stateful transformations are used.
So,for applications that require long-term aggregation, I choose to use
third-party caches in production, such as redis. Maybe you can try Alluxio

Wishes!

在 2020-04-16 08:19:24,"Ahn, Daniel" <daniel....@optum.com.INVALID> 写道:

Are Spark Structured Streaming checkpoint files expected to grow over time
indefinitely? Is there a recommended way to safely age-off old checkpoint data?

Currently we have a Spark Structured Streaming process reading from Kafka and
writing to an HDFS sink, with checkpointing enabled and writing to a location
on HDFS. This streaming application has been running for 4 months and over time
we have noticed that with every 10th job within the application there is about
a 5 minute delay between when a job finishes and the next job starts which we
have attributed to the checkpoint compaction process. At this point the
.compact file that is written is about 2GB in size and the contents of the file
show it keeps track of files it processed at the very origin of the streaming
application.

This issue can be reproduced with any Spark Structured Streaming process that
writes checkpoint files.

Is the best approach for handling the growth of these files to simply delete
the latest .compact file within the checkpoint directory, and are there any
associated risks with doing so?