While launching a spark job from Zeppelin against a standalone spark cluster (Spark 3.0 with multiple workers without hadoop), we have encountered a Spark interpreter exception caused by a I/O File Not Found exception due to the non-existence of the /tmp/spark-events directory.  We had to create the /tmp/spark-events directory manually in order to resolve the problem.

As a reference, the same notebook code run on Spark 2.4.6 (also a standalone cluster) without any problems.

What is /tmp/spark-events for and is there anyway to pre-define this directory as some config parameter so we don't end up manually add it in /tmp?

Thanks!

-- ND