If you use pandas_udfs in 2.4 they should be quite performant (or at least
won't suffer serialization overhead), might be worth looking into.

I didn't run your code but one consideration is that the while loop might
be making the DAG a lot bigger than it has to be. You might see if defining
those columns with list comprehensions forming a single select() statement
makes for a smaller DAG.