Many thanks SEan.

Maybe I misunderstood your point?

var DF = Try(spark.read.

     format("jdbc").

     option("url", jdbcUrl).

     option("dbtable", HiveSchema+"."+HiveTable).

     option("user", HybridServerUserName).

     option("password", HybridServerPassword).

     load()) match {

           *        case Success(DF) => HiveDF*

                   case Failure(e) => throw new Exception("Error
Encountered reading Hive table")

     }

Still getting the error

<console>:74: error: recursive method DF needs type

                          case Success(DF) => HiveDF

Do I need to define DF as DataFrame beforehand because at that moment Spark
does not know what DF type is

Thanks again

such loss, damage or destruction.