This is a typical file sharing problem in Spark.  Just setting up HDFS won't solve the problem unless you make your local machine as part of the cluster.  Spark server doesn't share files with your local machine without mounting drives to each other.  The best/easiest way to share the data between your local machine and the Spark server machine is to use NFS (as Spark manual suggests).  You can use a common NFS server and mount /opt/data drive on both local and the server machine, or run NFS on either machine and mount the /opt/data on the other.  Regardless, you have to ensure that /opt/data on both local and server machine are pointing to the save physical drive.  Also don't forget to relax the read/write permissions for all on the drive or map the user ID on both machines.

Using Fuse may be an option on Mac, but NFS is the standard solution for this type of problem (Mac supports NFS as well).

-- ND