That's what resource managers provide to you. So you can code and deal with
resource managers, but I assume you're finding ways to not deal with
resource managers directly and let Spark do it instead.

I admit I have no experience (I did the similar with Apache Storm on
standalone setup 5+ years ago), but the question can be simply changed as
"making driver fault-tolerant" as your app logic can run under driver even
if you don't do any calculation with Spark. And there seems to be lots of
answers in google for the new question, including the old one;
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26618464/what-happens-if-the-driver-program-crashes