Wouldn't you need to run Spark on Hadoop in order to use YARN?  I believe that YARN only manages Hadoop nodes, not Spark workers directly.  Besides, what I read was that you would need some extra plug-ins to be able to get nodes managed dynamically.

Our use case would be like this:

1. A Spark cluster is launched with some fixed number of initial nodes
   at the beginning.
2. As work load reaches max capacity (e.g. no more executors), a job
   submission is rejected or has to wait in the queue.
3. A new worker node is then instantiated (e.g., a pre-configured
   container hosting a worker node is created and started) to take the
   extra work load so new jobs can be submitted.
4. Optional:  If some worker nodes have been idle for a while, they can
   be stopped or removed from the cluster.

I guess an external Spark monitor or manager would be needed to keep an eye on the work load of the cluster and submission status to be able to launch/remove new nodes.   This shouldn't be difficult to do instead of dealing with complex frameworks like k8s which isn't really designed for small scale, on-prem use of Spark and requires dedicated admin resources.