(cross-posting from the HBase user list as I didn't receive a reply there)

Hello,

I'm completely new to Spark and evaluating setting up a cluster either in YARN
or standalone. Our idea for the general workflow is create a concatenated
dataframe using historical pickle/parquet files (whichever is faster) and
current data stored in HBase. I'm aware of the benefit of short circuit reads
if the historical files are stored in HDFS but I'm more concerned about
resource contention between Spark and HBase during data loading. My question
is, would running Spark on the same nodes provide a benefit when using
hbase-connectors
(https://github.com/apache/hbase-connectors/tree/master/spark)? Is there a
mechanism in the connector to "pass through" a short circuit read to Spark, or
would data always bounce from HDFS -> RegionServer -> Spark?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron