Hi Patrick

That beeline on port 10000 is a hive thrift server running on your hive on
host 10.0.50.1:10000.

if you can access that host, you should be able to log into hive by typing
hive. The os user is hadoop in your case and sounds like there is no
password!

Once inside that host, hive logs are kept in your case /tmp/hadoop/hive.log
or go to /tmp and do

/tmp> find ./ -name hive.log. It should be under /tmp/hive.log

Try running the sql inside hive and see what it says

HTH

Mich Talebzadeh,
Solutions Architect/Engineering Lead
London